Wellbeing Windows for Drizzly Mondays

Mondays can be particularly challenging for some people, so, in the spirit of lighting up your day a little, here are some beautifully lit Norfolk Church windows for you to enjoy. Sometimes, taking time to stop and savour the simple things, like glorious windows, can make a positive difference to our day. Here is my personal favourite from this 'collection':


I took this at Holy Cross, Caston, on a glorious summer day. Specifically, this was on an organised tour of some medieval churches by the ever excellent John Vigar. I particularly Love this photograph because of the colourful 'play of light' in the embrasures and window sill. I also like the textures as well as the asymmetry of the window offset within that shot. 

Having dwelt on the visuals here, let me reflect a little on a single word. The linguistic roots of the word, 'window', come from the Old Norse (Norwegian): vindraugavindr = 'wind' + auga = 'eye'. A window, then, is literally a 'wind-eye'. It is also a light-eye. In my formative years the environment around me led me to, metaphorically, close my eyes to 'light'. Because I was habituated into not looking for it, I did not see it - even when the potential beauty it might bring would have been beneficial to me. That is why, nowadays I look for wonder as I wonder...

'Eye of the Beholder': Norwich Cathedral, reflected in my daughter's eye

The Fallible Flaneur <*(((((><(

Comments

Popular Posts